"SINIGANG" SHORT STORY: APPEAL ON MY PERSONAL SCALE


"SINIGANG" 
by MARIE AUBREY J. VILLACERAN 


    "Sinigang" is a work of Philippine contemporary literature, a short story written in 2001. It narrates how Liza, dealt with the obstacle  along her way - his father having an extramarital affair with Sylvia which resulted to a son, her half-brother, Lem. 

    I personally pick this story because of its very Filipino title. Sinigang is a very popular dish here in the Philippines and I was so curious why it is entitled "Sinigang". My thoughts flow like this: Why is it entitled "Sinigang"? What does sinigang has to do with the story?  Is sinigang some sort of symbolism? As the story flows, my questions were answered and I just found myself loving the story. Moreover, I find the author witty for making such story flow in such as procedural manner. It was very effective and do the author deserves to be commended. 

    The setting of the story took place in the kitchen where Liza and her Tita Loreng were preparing sinigang for dinner. As they prepare, they were talking about what happened in the funeral of his half-brother, Lem. Liza narrates what happened start - from attending the funeral although she thought not to, Sylvia wept and hugged her and her father asked for forgiveness. 

    The whole story actually depicts most of the Filipino households. It is a typical family who is not perfect and is full of flaws. I did not come from a broken family, yet I felt the difficulty on Liza's part. As a child, it was difficult to understand the situation. It was difficult to forgive, but she did. Liza was so brave to let go of her anger and bitterness. I also think that when she decided to attend the funeral, she was already prepared to let herself free - to free herself from pain and resentment.

     Overall, I think everyone can learn from this story since it mirrors the reality of life. Life is not perfect, it has it flaws and pitfalls. For me, I can incorporate sinigang to the lesson of the story. Like sinigang, life can give a sour and distaste ordeal in life. Like sinigang's ingredients - life is complex. But if the ingredients perfectly come together, it can result to a perfectly delicious and heavenly taste dish. Just like a family which is also complex, but if members are united, everything will fall into place - having a peaceful and happy life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EMERGENT/EMERGING LITERATURE

SERVANT GIRL: REACTION TO THE SHORT STORY